Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sometimes I Think I Can Cook - Holy Mole! Turkey Chili

The first time I saw Giada use dark chocolate in a savory recipe, I was confounded. But as soon as I started researching and discovered Mole sauce, I was itching to try it out. The first time I tried it, I made a variation of spaghetti marinara, and it was - okay. So then I decided to go back to the basics, and try the Mole in its traditional form. I served it over baked chicken on farfalle- yummy. I realized I should have tried it in its pure form before mixing it into a recipe, and immediately knew when I tasted it that it was perfect to blend into my turkey chili recipe.

I also thought that since it's cold and/or rainy and/or snowy over much of the country, this was a perfect time to put in a warm, hearty recipe.

You'll need:

2 tbl Olive Oil (Don't use Extra Virgin if you use organic, as the olive bits will burn and you'll get bitter black bits)
1 lb. ground turkey
1 chopped red oinion
1 cup chicken stock
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 16 oz. can kidney beans, drained
5 cloves minced garlic
2 tbl chili powder
1 tbl paprika
t tbl dark chocolate shavings, packed (90% cocoa or above)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
t tsp black pepper
salt to taste

Sautee the garlic and onion in olive oil in a pot - as soon as the garlic turns just slightly golden, add the turkey and cook through, breaking up the turkey as you go along.

Pour in the stock, tomatoes, and stir until heated through. Let it come to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin and chocolate - stir through, then let simmer another five minutes.

Stir in the salt, pepper, and kidney beans, and let it simmer for ten minutes. Add the oregano, and let it simmer another five minutes. You're good to go!

(Hint - the later you add the oregano the better - as it cooks, it can take on a bitter taste - especially if you opt for fresh rather than dried, in which case add at the very end).

Serve with polenta or cornbread, and a Malbec.

2 comments:

Northaday said...

Sounds good - I make a version very similar to this, sans onion and choco, plus cinnamon and a dash of dark beer.

Will, I am hungry now.

Will Shealy said...

The chocolate gives it a nice depth and richness. I've heard so many times about making chili with beer - I'll have to try it some time. Do you use a stout? If so, I'm guessing it has a similar effect as the chocolate